The Global Environment Facility (GEF) is an independent financial organisation that provides grants to developing countries and countries with economies in transition for the implementation of projects. GEF funded projects focus on issues related to biodiversity, climate change, international waters, land degradation, the ozone layer, and persistent organic pollutants.These projects benefit the global environment and promote sustainable livelihoods in local communities.
In Guyana, GEF activities are carried out by three main Implementing Institutions:
- Environmental Protection Agency,
- Ministry of Agriculture and
- The Guyana Lands and Surveys Commission
GEF activities have been ongoing in Guyana since the early 1990s.
GEF Projects are managed by the following GEF Implementing Agencies:
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP);
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP); and
- The World Bank (IBRD).